This summer we decided to do a simpler easier vacation. We spent 5 days in Nantucket. Kate’s favorite little New England island. Not too much to do but take it easy. Which is good.

We seemed to catch all the rainy days they’ve had this season. Sunday through Wednesday morning we saw nothing but rain and cloudy skys. We decided to extend our tip by a day to try to eek out a little sun. No worry though we managed to keep ourselves busy. Our hotel had bikes so we rode them out and around the island. We went to the local brewery on the island called Cisco Brewing. They have a nice little beer garden. We went to dinner at a bunch of places but one stood way out in front of the rest. The Nautilus, it’s a Asian inspired place, and it was really really delicious! We had the crab fried rice and the noodles it was great!

We had most of Wednesday and Thursday on the beach. We got ourselves as burned as possible. It was a good save.

We ended up staying at two hotels because of extending our stay. The first place was the Jared Coffin house. The second place was Union Street Inn. We really liked Union Street.

I always end up taking a lot of car pictures while we are here. When you are at a place where the vacation homes go for 1.5 million on the low end you are bound to see some nice rides.


Paint finished! My feelings? Full success!!!

I left things on a classic cliff hanger in the last post. There were many ups and downs with that part of the project. We really had to get in there and fight. In the end it’s a very acceptable job.

This past week the backsplash started going up and it looking pretty good. You can see in the photo the grout isn’t in yet but it’s certainly starting to take shape.

This is very exciting. I was looking back at the renderings in the earlier posts and the kitchen looks just as we planed. That may seem like a dumb thing to be excited about. Although I find projects rarely turn out as planned, unless the plan is well layed out. That said we are not done yet so let’s see how I feel in a month.

The last bit to do is the hood and the shelves. The hood had a 10 week lead time and I think we might be about halfway through.

Pictures for you to enjoy.


I know you’re concerned (J-bone)…. The last few weeks have been pretty stressful both with the house and work. That said, I’m not here to complained so let’s catch your ass up on the kitchen progress!

Ok, so in the last post the countertops happened. The plan was then to get the backsplash in and the rest of the molding done. Then we would be ready to paint… That didn’t happen. The molding on the ceiling got done and then our carpenter had other jobs to take care of and ghosted us. This meant we had to go into painting a bit deficient. So, we had to ask the painter to finish the molding on the floor.

August 2:

The painting begins. They take all the doors off and start to lightly sand. I’m nervous because I’m not sure this can even be done well in the best conditions.

August 3:

Kate’s birthday, the painters finish the rough sand and spray a layer of primer. The primer is done a bit rough but knowing how much sanding is required to paint, it should be fine.

August 4:

Kate and I are scheduled to fly to Cincinnati for a family wedding but the flight is cancelled, long story the trip got cancelled.

The painters sand and put on the first layer of white paint. The job is clearly being rushed. The sanding of the primer was know where near thouro and the first coat is done terribly. Spots with heavy spray. Orange peal everywhere. Dust sprayed into the paint. It was my worst fear come true.

When Kate and I saw the progress a freak out ensued. Kate started calling the office. I emailed the owner with pictures. The fire storm was lit!

August 6:

The project manager came to the house to talk to us in the morning and we showed him all our concerns. He played it cool but then shit started to happen. 8 guys showed up and started sanding like crazy. I got home at about 8 and they were still sanding. They left around 8:30. Things seemed to be going in the right direction.

August 7:

We had another walk through with the project manager and thanked him for the progress. Pointed out a few areas that still needed a bit of work. They then sprayed another coat of paint. I got home around 9:30 and things were looking pretty good. They painted the kick board under the cabinets and with another coat I think we will have beat this thing.

August 8 (today)

They should come in and put the new hardware on. Then touch up work. We may be done today or tomorrow.

It’s looking pretty good in the end. It’s not perfect. It’s white, and it’s painted… There is no way to achieve a factory finish. Without a spray booth. There is no way to get it perfect. The goal here was to do a job that was in line with the budget and the over all value of the house. I think we did that and I think it’s a pretty solid job. We will see how it wears. If we had kids I would be terrified.

The pictures below are from today. I don’t want to post the rougher pictures because they make me anxious and I’d like to forget.